Blog Banner

The blog banner was made with elements from Lorie Davison. The nail head is Mo Jackson, the white rabbit and the key is Tangie Baxter. The butterflies are from Katie Pertiet.

Thursday, December 2, 2010

The Day The Trees Would Dye

This morning I didn't have to go to work.  
I didn't have to go to work because on Saturday
I will be making gingerbread houses 
out of graham crackers
with sixty children.
Sixty 
6
Zero
Yeah, I'm nuts.
But I've done it every year for 10 years now.
And,
It's fun!
Really!
So on my morning off
I did this:
I bought several of these trees at the Goodwill.
I remembered Karla over at Karla's Cottage
doing a tutorial a few years ago on her blog.
Since I haven't had an original idea
in my head
since 1969 when I decided to make my own shampoo
and the egg beater got stuck in my hair
(I'm not making this up and it's a story for another day)
I thought I'd try this.
A bowl of bleach.
Submerge the tree.
Go get a box of kleenex because
you are coughing and hacking
up a lung 
due to the fact 
you aren't really over that cold
and coupled with the noxious fumes
you begin to think that this idea 
may not have been the wisest one of the day.
Whilst waiting for the bleach to work
dig frantically through the junk drawer
looking for these.
Do you know what these are?
Yessirree Bob!
These are egg dye tablets left over from Easter.
Somewhere in the recesses of my mind I knew
they were lurking in the bottom of the junk drawer.
Now,  never mind that I can't remember 
where I left my inhaler (really important I might add)
or my glasses (also,  pretty doggone important)
BUT
I remember where the egg dye tablets are.
In what world does that make a lick of sense?
Heat up water in the microwave.
Drop in a dye tablet.
Lean over the bowl with your camera.
When the camera lense steams up
snap a photo.
COOL, huh?!
Yeah.
I meant to do that.
Bowl o'blue dye.
Jar o'pink dye.
And so on.
You get the idea.
Rinse your trees.
They will still smell like bleach.
Grab your inhaler again.
For the record, don't sniff the trees to see 
if they still smell like bleach.  
They will.
.Note that you stuck inhaler in your hoodie jacket pocket.
Dip trees into the dye.
You can just let them float for a little bit.
I use hemostats to remove the tree from the water.
Mostly, because the water is hot.
And I happen to own a pair of hemostats
because that's the kind of
cool and groovy chick I am.
And
I grew up in the 60's and 70's.
And that's all I'm going to say about that.
STOP thinking what you're thinking.
I use them for crafts.
I purchased it at the science store down the street.


Shake, shake, shake your booty.
Actually, gently shake out the little tree.
Shaking your booty-
 that's
entirely up to you.
TA-DAH!!!!!
Now to glitz 'em up with glitter and goodies.
And have a wonderful day.

5 comments:

Carousel Dreams said...

Oh man, you have made me laugh this morning - so funny! Oh, and I love your little trees!

Terri Kahrs said...

I've learned to never, ever eat or try to drink anything before I read your blog!!! OMG! You're the Erma Bombeck of Blogland!!! LOve, Love, LOVE those little trees and am glad that a visit to the ER wasn't on the schedule!!! Hugs, Terri xoxoxo

PS EGG dye for Christmas trees!!!! Who knew????

Prior said...

lol, but I love the trees! Lezlee

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

I hope you can breathe by now. You should have seen me hacking as I bleached 240 of them in the tub!

fiberdance said...

thanks for the chuckles-love the trees, and can try this cuz I know exactly where my easter egg dyes are, too.