Blog Banner

The blog banner was made with elements from Lorie Davison. The nail head is Mo Jackson, the white rabbit and the key is Tangie Baxter. The butterflies are from Katie Pertiet.

Sunday, October 25, 2009

Coffee. It's not just for breakfast anymore.

I started dyeing fabric this morning. No, I haven't made any beds, run the vacuum, or even cleaned up my breakfast dishes. BUT - here's how. It's very easy and very addicting.

Fill up a container of some sort with hot water.
Using instant coffee (I used Walmart) empty about half of the jar into the hot water.
Swish it around.


Grab every piece of fabric
you can find and put into
the mixture.
Avoid dyeing your pet
rodent. He will not be amused.

Avoid wearing clothes that are easily stained. For
instance, it was a really bad idea to wear my favorite J Jill ivory sweater, even though I purchased it at the Goodwill. Coffee DOES stain. This is the point. Especially if you are over zealous!



Do not rinse. Wring out in the sink. Wiping down the walls and windows, because AGAIN you were over zealous in your wringing.

Take fabric outside and hang on your clothesline. I do not happen to own a clothesline. I do happen to own lawn furniture. This substitutes nicely. The neighbors will think you are nuts. Unless they are dyeing fabric also! ;o)















6 comments:

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

The J Jill sweater might have to be dipped all the way into the coffee for a dye job too!

Into Vintage said...

Looks like you have sunshine too. We could use more of that here this time of year.

Can't wait to see how this turns out for you - thanks for doing the research & development portion of this project.

Breakfast dishes? They're not going anywhere...

Susan said...

Thanks for the lesson in dyeing with coffee..everything I own is NOW brown....I was so happy to be able to do this in my kitchen sink . However you should never "drink" half of the sink of coffee before you start. You can really get over zealous for sure!!! I love brown!!!

Tumble Fish Studio said...

Well, how cool is THIS? Thanks for one more excuse to avoid housework cuz I needed it! hee hee And, you'll just have to dye the whole sweater now and it won't be stained!

Hey! You won a prize on my blog! Congratulations!

laurie -magpie ethel said...

You are one busy beaver with your dyeing! I now see your addiction too...at least my Christmas balls aren't messy (altho they do take up a bit of room!)

Rebecca said...

Hi Kathy
Good job Girl! Isn't it fun...
I finally got some pictures up of the workshop. I have been having upload problems.
Sure enjoyed having you in the workshop.
Take care
Rebecca